About blogs and blogging

Put links to personal blogs about DID or other dissociative disorders here. If you like, you can add a short description of the blog as well.

About blogs and blogging

Postby JigsawAnalogy on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:18 pm

A "blog" is a personal webpage, usually in the form of a journal. They are set up to post articles or entries, usually organized chronologically. Here's the Wikipedia entry on blogs.

It can be reassuring and encouraging to read blogs written by other people who are coping with dissociative disorders. Unlike memoirs about multiplicity, a blog focuses on the daily experience. People do not seem to go quickly from being diagnosed to achieving cooperation and integration. The back and forth of the process is emphasized, and it becomes clear that everyone has good days, bad days, and days that are totally in-between.

It is also a way of building a sense of some community, because many blogs allow readers to comment on the posts, which means that you can offer encouragement or ask questions, or let others know how you responded to something that was written. Many times, I find that reading blogs can make me feel like I'm less alone in this process.

:facts:
So, how can I start a blog?

Find a site to host your blog
There are quite a few different websites where you can start a blog of your own. Many of them are free. If you are just starting out, and aren't sure what you want to do with your blog, it is probably best to choose a site that will allow you to move your blog to your own host if you decide to do that in the future (I know that both blogger and wordpress will allow you to do that.)

Beyond that, it's a matter of choosing the platform that is most appealing to you. Some are more customizable than others. Because blogger is integrated with Google, it is easy to post, and also fairly easy to find upgrades and add-ons for your blog. Other sites, like livejournal have a format that lends itself well to finding a community of people who share your interests.

Set up your blog
This can be fairly simple or rather complicated, depending on which site you are using. But with most of the free sites, it's a simple matter of choosing a user name (you probably want to choose something different from your legal name, in order to preserve your privacy), choosing a template you like, and plugging in things like the name of your blog. With most blogging software, you don't need to know much HTML, if any at all.

You may also want to decide whether your blog is public, friends-only, or private. Some blogging sites will let you decide this on a case-by-case basis, which can also be convenient. And many of the sites will allow people to have multiple accounts, which will let you have different blogs for different purposes.

Start writing

Once you have your blog set up, you can start writing. Remember that this is a space for you to write whatever you want. If your goal is to get a lot of readers, you may want to make some effort to pay attention to grammar and spelling, and also to break up long passages of text into shorter paragraphs (you may have noticed that it's difficult to read long paragraphs on a computer screen). And you may want to be careful about putting identifying information into your posts, or saying things about specific people that could be seen as slander or libel. But beyond that, write whatever you like.

Comment on other people's blogs

If one of your goals with your blog is to find community, it can be helpful to comment on other people's blogs, and to link to their blogs. Many of us have installed a "statcounter" on our blogs, and that shows us when someone links to our site. And we're likely to follow the link, to see what this person is saying about us, and what they are saying on their site. Plus, when we comment on other people's blogs, they're more likely to comment on *our* blog, and then we're getting into conversations and making friends with people. It's great all around.

Some uses for a blog for multiples

• Writing about the things you are experiencing.
  • Writing about your past, your dreams, or your emotions.
  • Communicating with others in your system.
  • Keeping track of your daily activities.
  • Letting people know what it's like to be multiple.
  • Expressing yourself, venting, complaining, or celebrating your successes.
  • Having a record of which parts were active (or at least posting) at any given time
  • Any number of things I haven't thought of!
Who says there is anything wrong with being crazy, anyhow?
JigsawAnalogy
Site Admin

Return to Blogs