Trigger

Here's a section where we can collect the definitions of terms people use in relation to DID/MPD, both the official ones and the different ways we use the terms.

Trigger

Postby JigsawAnalogy on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:54 pm

I've seen this defined in two somewhat different ways. I'm wondering how people here use the word, and what it means in relation to DID/MPD, or to survivors of abuse in general.
Who says there is anything wrong with being crazy, anyhow?
JigsawAnalogy
Site Admin

Re: Trigger

Postby JigsawAnalogy on Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:24 pm

I define "trigger" as "something that causes a flashback or panic attack." It's something that will bring up a memory, or bring up intense anxiety that I know from experience is related to the past.

When I say that I am "triggered" or "triggery" I mean that I am in a state where I am more likely to experience triggers as flashbacks or panic attacks, and where more things are likely to *cause* flashbacks or panic attacks. At these times, I know to avoid things like other people's descriptions of their abuse, or movies that are violent, or similar stuff.
Who says there is anything wrong with being crazy, anyhow?
JigsawAnalogy
Site Admin

Postby Battle_Weary on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:41 pm

We see trigger as something that causes a flashback, panic attack, unexpected feeling, memory not in the form of a flashback, or an abrupt, unexpected switch (usually an indication that one is triggered while another may not be).
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
Battle_Weary
posts some more
posts some more

why_joining1: I'm a joiner? hehe...that is seriously far from the truth! But seriously...I think tis type of forum is an outstanding idea and welcome the chance to learn from others, share ideas, and maybe create something useful.
nospam: I am not a spammer and I will not post spam.

Postby PeaceByPiece on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:23 pm

We define a trigger as whatever the catalyst was that set off an 'explosion'.

A trigger on a gun discharges a bullet. If we liken that to a trigger that sets off an explosion in the mind (in terms of flashbacks, bad memories, body memories, or whatever), then it is exactly as it indicates, something that causes an abrupt and often unexpected force via a blast of emotion.

A trigger is something that affects all five senses:
Triggers are
*seeing the person who perpetuated the most abuse.
*hearing a song that was playing when abuse occurred.
*feeling a prickle or tingle on the skin that occurs concurrently with a feeling of fear
*smelling a food that the abuser preferred to eat, despite being undesirable (or not...)
*tasting something that is reminiscent of the abuse or abuser.

That is what triggers mean to us.
PeaceByPiece
kinda quiet
kinda quiet

why_joining1: I have always been a dissociator, but I have just been dx'd with DID and need some support and friendship with other people who understand......

Return to Terms and Definitions