Questions from Guests

This is a space for guests to ask questions and get advice; it is the only place you can post if you aren't a registered member of this board.

Please read the rest of the board to see if the thing you're asking about has already been answered.
Forum rules
This forum is for questions about coping with DID/MPD or dissociative disorders. Please check to see if your question has been answered before posting here. If you would like to participate in writing answers, please join the board!

Members: feel free to answer a question here, but also copy that answer to the appropriate section of the board as well. Thanks!

Questions from Guests

Postby JigsawAnalogy on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:49 am

:welcome:
Yes, you can help to shape the information on this board, even if you don't want to join it! :idea1

This is the place to ask questions, and to ask people to post about something you'd like help with (for instance, if you're looking for information about amusing child parts while you're at work, you could make a request here, and then someone might feel inspired to write about that sooner!)

So feel free to ask for information and suggestions. I think what would make the most sense at that point is for someone to post here, but also copy the information into the appropriate section elsewhere on the board.
Who says there is anything wrong with being crazy, anyhow?
JigsawAnalogy
Site Admin

Re: Questions from Guests

Postby gwhelchel on Sat May 09, 2009 12:15 am

I am a licensed professional counselor and I work with many people who have borderline personality disorder and many who have different dissociative disorders.

I would like to create a group in which 8-10 people could come together and learn about and/or explore together things that would be helpful.

I would love any ideas you might offer...suggestions...thoughts...cautions...etc.

Gloria Whelchel, LPC
gwhelchel
kinda quiet
kinda quiet

why_joining1: I am a licensed professional counselor and I work with many clients who are dissociative. I would really like to create a group that could help DID clients and, this appears to be a wonderful possibility to explore this idea and maybe develop something that will really help people.
nospam: I am not a spammer and I will not post spam.

Postby Battle_Weary on Sat May 09, 2009 12:04 pm

Are you thinking of a groups in "3d", or an internet group? My ideas/suggestions are different depending on which type of group!
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
Battle_Weary
posts some more
posts some more

why_joining1: I'm a joiner? hehe...that is seriously far from the truth! But seriously...I think tis type of forum is an outstanding idea and welcome the chance to learn from others, share ideas, and maybe create something useful.

Postby JigsawAnalogy on Sat May 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Whether it's online or in person, I tend to relate best to therapists who accept that I am an equal partner in the healing process. I might not have all of the necessary skills, but I generally have good insight into what I need. I haven't done as well with therapists who are certain that they know more about what's going on for me than I do.

You probably already know that, but I figure it bears repeating.
:peace34
JigsawAnalogy
Site Admin

Postby gwhelchel on Sun May 10, 2009 9:49 am

I have much to learn and totally realize that clients have much to teach me! :agree:

I'm thinking of a 3D group meeting for about 2 hours weekly for maybe 12 weeks. Then maybe starting new with a new group and having an advanced group if there is enough interest.

I'm thinking of offering an environment in which limited sharing could happen (I don't want to trigger others while one shares the gory details). I'm thinking of offering containment and grounding and mindfulness exercises along with psychoeducational information. So the group might look like what I've written below but I'm totally open to suggestions. I've never led this type of group. I've led DBT groups which would be the closest. This group is definitely under construction! :construction:

Open with a check in.
Mindfulness grounding exercise.
Sharing success from week using previously learned skill.
Homework review
Break
New teaching - probably DBT skills
Hands on learning - role play, art/collage, etc.
Question - What did I learn from today & how do I want to use it this next week.
gwhelchel
kinda quiet
kinda quiet

why_joining1: I am a licensed professional counselor and I work with many clients who are dissociative. I would really like to create a group that could help DID clients and, this appears to be a wonderful possibility to explore this idea and maybe develop something that will really help people.

Postby JigsawAnalogy on Mon May 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Do you have clients who are looking for a group, or are you designing the group and then looking for people to serve? If you already have clients who are looking for a support group, they'd probably have ideas about what it is they want to get out of the group.
JigsawAnalogy
Site Admin

Postby Battle_Weary on Mon May 11, 2009 8:19 pm

One thing I suggest is to be careful with the word "mindfulness". Recently there was a thread about mindfulness on a board I go to that is more a support forum than in information forum (like this one). The thread was a pretty clear indication that many with DID seem to fear that particular term. It seems to bring up all kinds of conceptual ideas, including meditation, self-hypnosis, and dissociation. The general feeling seems to be "We dissociate very well, thank you very much". Grounding however, has the opposite effect...it seems that most at that particular forum are very interested in grounding.
Battle_Weary
posts some more
posts some more

why_joining1: I'm a joiner? hehe...that is seriously far from the truth! But seriously...I think tis type of forum is an outstanding idea and welcome the chance to learn from others, share ideas, and maybe create something useful.

Return to Questions from Guests