It's all progress

Write about the things you wish you had known when you were first diagnosed.

It's all progress

Postby JigsawAnalogy on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:36 am

When I started the process of coping with being multiple, I had a timeframe in mind. I figured, take a few months to focus on healing, then it can go back to the back burner, to be worked on for an hour a week until I'm "better." And so quite a few parts in my system worked hard to figure out who was here, what our issues were, and what it would take to be "healed."

And then it turned out that a lot of parts were unwilling to just decide they were better. They wanted the time to actually (gasp!) process through their experiences. They wanted a chance to actually *feel* better before they would *say* they felt better. And then, just as the first batch of parts seemed to be feeling better, another group showed up. And then another group, and another....

But each time I get discouraged and begin to feel like things are moving backwards rather than forwards, people remind me that I actually *am* making progress. And that progress isn't limited to visible, external improvements. And sometimes, progress is messy.

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but one thing I definitely wish I had known when I started out is, things will seem to move forward and backward. Things well get messy and complicated when you think everything is finally settling down. And sometimes, when it seems like things are at their worst, you'll find that they *do* get better, at least for a while.

For me, it's been helpful to take a far more relaxed approach, and to accept that I can't make myself better through sheer force of will. And, in fact, that it's healthier to admit that things aren't perfect, and aren't getting "better" as quickly as I think they should (at least to my therapist, partner, and other support people). Because it's only when I (and other parts) can acknowledge that we don't have everything under control, that other people are able to give us a helping hand. :hmm:
Who says there is anything wrong with being crazy, anyhow?
JigsawAnalogy
Site Admin

Re: It's all progress

Postby doodles77 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:42 pm

we had some very simular experences .. the hurry up be healed method simply added extra pressures ... so the ok lets simply wait because those who need the extra help usually end up in the therapists office ... don't get how it works but for us it did .
healing might seem so slow --- yet worth all the effort
doodles77
even more posts!
even more posts!

Return to If I had known then...