Progress is not always in the direction you want it to be

Write about the things you wish you had known when you were first diagnosed.

Progress is not always in the direction you want it to be

Postby Battle_Weary on Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:23 am

I really wish we had known that progress is not necessarily a straight line. It can and does go off in any direction at all. Sometimes it doesn't appear to be progress at all, but looking back, it is.
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
Battle_Weary
posts some more
posts some more

why_joining1: I'm a joiner? hehe...that is seriously far from the truth! But seriously...I think tis type of forum is an outstanding idea and welcome the chance to learn from others, share ideas, and maybe create something useful.
nospam: I am not a spammer and I will not post spam.

Re: Progress is not always in the direction you want it to be

Postby JigsawAnalogy on Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:28 pm

I totally agree with this!

Honestly, I *did* know that, or I should have. I used to teach workshops for people to learn about domestic violence, and one of the big things we always said was that progress is a spiral, not a straight line, and even though it sometimes seems like we're going backwards, we're really always moving forwards. But that doesn't mean that I understand it for real. Just because I know something in my head, it doesn't mean I actually *know* it.

So it's a real struggle for me, when I feel like I keep on moving backwards. It's a big help to have people in my life who can see the progress from the outside, and assure me it's actually happening!
:idea1
Who says there is anything wrong with being crazy, anyhow?
JigsawAnalogy
Site Admin

Return to If I had known then...